Reiki is an ancient healing art which originated in Japan and was brought into the west in the 1980s. Over the last few decades, Reiki has become very popular and is now widely used in hospitals, nursing homes, health spas and by holistic practitioners and other interested individuals all over the world.
“Rei” in Japanese means “universe” or “universal”. Rei can be defined as the higher intelligence that guides the creation and functioning of the universe. Rei is a subtle wisdom that pervades all being. This subtle wisdom guides the evolution of all creation ranging from the unfolding of galaxies to the development of life on a human level. It is available to help us in times of need to act as a source of guidance in our lives because of its infinite nature. It is all-knowing and all-understanding. Sometimes Rei is called God and many other names depending on the culture.
“Ki” is the non-physical energy that pervades all living things. Ki is flowing in everything that is alive. Ki is also the Chi of China, the prana of India, the Ti or Ki of the Hawaiians, and has also been called odic force, orgone, bioplasma and life force. When our Ki is high and flowing freely we are happy, healthy, strong, confident and ready to enjoy life and to take on its challenges. When our ki is low and not flowing freely, we experience this as physical, emotional, mental or spiritual complaints or even illness, we feel weak and are more likely to get sick.
With the above information in mind, Reiki can be defined as a non-physical healing energy made up of life force energy that is guided by the Higher Intelligence, or spiritually guided life force energy.
Some of the effects of Reiki are:
• to experience a feeling of deep relaxation and peace
• to reduce stress
• to reduce anxiety
• to improve sleep patterns
• to stimulate and increase the body’s innate ability to heal itself
• to assist in the healing of injuries
• to assist in post-operative recovery
• to boost the immune system
• to help in times of change or transformation
• to help in the grieving process or other situations of intense emotional pain< • to remove physical, emotional and mental blockages and pain • to enhance self-confidence and self-esteem • to increase energy-levels Reiki is a powerful tool to enhance and maintain physical, emotional and mental well-being.